Announcing the Parable Award for Excellence in Cover Design
Taking Submissions June 1st-July 1st
Illustration is the art of capturing the power of story with image as the snare.
The Faith and Fantasy Alliance is excited to announce the creation of the Parable Award for Excellence in Cover Design. Do you know of a truly compelling book cover that deserves accolades for artistry? If so, consider suggesting that cover for consideration for this newly-established award.
A committee of artists is combing the literary world for the best speculative fiction covers of 2012, published within the religious market. However, if you would like to suggest a cover that you believe the committee should consider, we are always open to suggestions.
Timeline and Procedure:
June 1st to June 30th: Committee compiles list of nominees. If you wish to suggest a book cover for consideration, email your suggestions to info [at] faithandfantasyalliance [dot] com. Put “Parable Award Suggestion: [title of book]” in the email subject line. In the body of the email, please supply a link to where we can find the book online in order to consider its cover. You may suggest books you are affiliated with or have just enjoyed as a consumer.
Timeline and Procedure:
July 5th, 2013, the committee will notify the creators of their nomination for the award.
July 15th, 2013, the committee will announce the finalists for the award. The goal is to nominate three finalists, but the committee reserves the right to nominate as many or as few contenders as it deems appropriate.
August 2nd, at the costume dinner at Realm Makers, the committee will award a prize of $100 for the best speculative fiction cover from the religious market for the year 2012.
To be eligible for the Parable Award, nominees must have been published:
- within the religious market
- between January 1st and December 31st of 2012
- be speculative fiction, written by an author who professes a Judeo-Christian worldview. Book content, however, need not have overt faith-based content
Ebook covers as well as printed book covers qualify for consideration. Self published books as well as traditionally published work are equally eligible.
The winning cover will rise above its competitors in all of the following areas:
- Excellence of illustration: Does the cover image, i.e. the illustration or photography, showcase impeccable craft? Does the artist showcase a clear deftness in his chosen medium?
- Excellence of typography: Is the font choice and layout complimentary to the cover illustration? Is the relationship between font and image balanced?
- General Effect: Does the cover dynamically portray the theme, tone, or significant elements of the interior story? In short, does the cover sell the book? Does it do its job in ‘hooking’ a reader?
The winning cover will garner a certificate of recognition and a cash prize of $100, to be announced and awarded at the Realm Makers costume dinner on August 2, 2013. It is the responsibility of the parties involved in the creation of the winning cover to determine which individual(s) receive(s) the prize money.